In one case in 2007, we represented the carrier at a mediation for a slip and fall case in a nursing home in Beaumont, Texas. The plaintiff’s initial demand was $175,000.00. With the carrier’s attorney, we successfully settled the claim for $26,488.60 in mediation.
In another case in August of 2005, we attended a mediation in South Padre, Texas regarding a lawsuit that the County filed against several sub-contractors. We represented the carrier of one of the sub-contractors. An opening demand of $950,000.00 was made against all the subcontractors, but with the help of counsel and other carrier representatives, we were able to arrive at a compromise settlement in the amount of $450,000.00.
Many cases that have multi-million dollar initial demands are resolved at well under six figures depending on the circumstances.
Examples of the claims our adjusters have handled include:
- A Hurricane Harvey multi party Inland Marine loss exceeding $25,000,000.00
- Fire losses to manufacturing, industrial, commercial properties, habitational risks, non-profit entities that routinely exceed $2,000,000 for Building, Personal Property and Business Income losses
- Extensive experience with hail and wind damage to commercial roofing systems with water cause analysis, as a result of the multiple hail storms during the last 15 years throughout Texas.
Our adjusters have handled a variety of complex losses, including:
- An explosion and resulting fire damage at a high school in San Angelo, Texas, loss exceeding $10,000,000.00
- A fire loss at a facility manufacturing oil field related equipment, loss exceeding $7,000,000.00
- A Hurricane Katrina loss involving an armored car company, loss exceeding $3,500,000.00
- A Hurricane Rita loss involving multiple locations for the City of Port Arthur, Texas, loss exceeding $9,000,000.00
- A helicopter crash involving multiple international claimants, a cross action involving the workers compensation carrier, and adjustment of the helicopter’s hull damage
We also are the Third Party Administrators for liability claims for several entities that are self insured.
We have successfully concluded numerous appraisals ranging in scope from residential properties to large commercial risks, including for court ordered appraisals. It is not uncommon for the initial disparity of the matter to be in the millions USD.
Additionally, our partners have been retained as Experts for testimony concerning disputed damages, first part bad faith, and subrogation cases.
Texas has a large Spanish speaking population. In order to property facilitate the handling of claims involving Spanish speaking Insureds and Claimants, we have two adjusters fluent in both Spanish and English; Sina Maria Alvarado in our Houston office and Elizabeth Ortiz in our San Antonio office.